"I could hear my heart beating. I could hear everyone’s heart. I could hear the human noise we sat there making, not one of us moving, not even when the room went dark." -R. Carver

Friday, April 11, 2014

Writing Club

Writing Club...writing club…Writing Club….



“Man go fuck your room Mr. Newman.” that is the sound of a once improving but now backtracking relationship. I’m not going to write this kid up.  He gets written up too much and it doesn’t do anything.  Consider this my documentation.    

“I fail at everything Mr. Newman.” That is the sound of a young person with no hope in himself.  

“Is that your version of not giving up Mr. Newman?” That is the sound of a student correctly calling me out on my bullshit.  

“Sit down!” That is the sound of me yelling at a kid who was getting a tissue out of a tissue box.

“...........” That’s the sound of me trying to gain my cool back.  Breathe in, breathe out.  In the through the nose, out through the mouth.”  

“Meeting got cancelled, the parent couldn’t make it in.”  That is the sound of putting off a gathering of a village that might have helped a student succeed.  Maybe not.  

“Sign here please and don’t forget to take your pencils.”  That is the sound of standardized testing.  

“Close those chromebooks while I’m up here talking.”  That is the sound of desperate classroom management.

“This isn’t important for us to know at all.”  This is the sound of a failed delivery of an actually crucial concept or a student that just doesn’t give a shit.  It’s hard to say which is worse.

“Every year, there are only so many students that you can help.”  That is the sound of sage truth.  

“You’re making a difference in that kids life.”  That is the sound of support, friendship, happiness.”  

“That was a great moment for me.”  This is the sound of a retiring teacher realizing the future.  

“How do I get on the soccer team?”  That is the sound of a student that maybe isn’t a lost soul like his grandma said but a soul searching for some meaning.  




No comments:

Post a Comment